Working from home is a personal preference for many people. However, sometimes it can be hard to stay motivated and get work done. Creating a daily work schedule while working from home can help you stay organised and motivated to maintain a healthy work life balance. It’s easy to set up and we believe it is an essential tool for your business.
In this blog we will explore 5 different reasons as to why using a daily work schedule can help you to create consistency with your workflow and manage your work.
- Make a work from home schedule to dedicate time to your tasks
- Create a work from home routine with scheduled break times
- Creating a working schedule to help you remember tasks and get them out of your brain
- Stay motivated to stick to your daily work schedule so you maintain consistency with your business
- Plan tasks that work with your schedule for work life balance
1. Make a work from home schedule to dedicate time to your tasks
Running a small business can be overwhelming, especially if it’s just you. Having a list of tasks can be daunting when you can’t see the end of it. This is where your daily calendar comes in handy. Being able to schedule out time slots for each task throughout the week can not only make you feel more in control, but you will feel less overwhelmed, and your tasks will start to reduce.
There are lots of great options when selecting a calendar, here are our top picks:
- Google calendar
Although we always recommend keeping a digital calendar it can help to replicate this onto a wall planner if you are a visual person.
2. Create a work from home routine with scheduled break times
When you are working from home it can be easy to forget to take a break or two when there are no distractions such as work colleagues. Breaks are important for many reasons. Setting scheduled reminders to take breaks is a good way to remind yourself to detach from your work.
Here are 3 reasons why breaks are beneficial for your health:
- Improve physical and mental health – taking a break to go for a walk is a good way to get your body moving and get your vitamin D. Not only that but it refreshes your brain to stay focused on your work when you return.
- Restore motivation – not taking breaks can lead to feeling drained and exhausted. You may find yourself wasting time sitting there with brain fog. Taking regular breaks can help you stay motivated for longer periods of time.
- Improves productivity – taking care of your physical and mental health will help improve your productivity.
3. Creating a working schedule to help you remember tasks and get them out of your brain
Writing down a list of your weekly tasks will help you schedule daily tasks so you can set and forget. We personally stick to this routine of setting out our daily tasks so we don’t forget anything, and our brains can focus on getting the work done.
Having too much to remember in your mind can lead to burn out, forgetting tasks and feeling overwhelmed. When you set up a schedule you can add details for each task, so you remember ideas, meeting times, appointments and even restocking of products.
4. Stay motivated to stick to your daily work schedule so you maintain consistency with your business
Being your own boss means you can start work whenever you want to, which can sometimes lead to too much flexibility. Having a working schedule which includes when you start can be a great motivation and lead to more tasks being completed.
Not only that it leads to a more consistent workflow which is important if you are creating online content like a blog or YouTube channel. Your audience growth is directly correlated with consistency. If you want your business to grow sticking to a schedule is vital.
5. Plan tasks that work with your schedule for work life balance
Working for yourself doesn’t mean working every second of the day. You deserve to have flexibility throughout your working week to do the things that you love. Sharyn likes to spend her Friday mornings at a local Pilates class where she gets to exercise and catch up with the community. Shania and I both go to the gym throughout the week. It is very important to us to stay fit, and creating a schedule and dedicating time to exercise is very helpful.
The beauty of working for yourself is that you don’t have to stick to Monday to Friday, 9-5 work hours. You can make your schedule to suit your lifestyle.
Schedules allow you to make sure you set out time for yourself which is important because you’re the driving force behind your business. Looking after yourself means that you will be able to show up for your business for it to grow.
You can learn more about work life balance in our recent blog post 5 Wellness Tips for Working From Home.
To Sum Up
Creating a daily work schedule is a great way to stay motivated and on track with your business. In addition to this it is beneficial for your mental and physical health, helps you remember tasks and allows you to conquer your work life balance.